Selling Used Items on FBMP
On Facebook Marketplace, you can buy and sell within your community. If you’re a U.S.-based merchant, you can sell across the continental United States.
Unlike Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace provides public profiles and ratings for sellers and buyers. The ratings, which are visible on the Facebook app for Android and iOS, help both sides feel confident about their transactions.
Advantages of FBMP
- Extended reach. Facebook has 2.4 billion active users. Of those, about 75% check Facebook every day. Unless you live in the literal middle of nowhere, there are sure to be scores of Facebook users — potential buyers — in your area, not to mention customers you could ship products to across the country.
- Smart algorithms. Thanks to Facebook’s sophisticated algorithms, people in your area will see your listings. It’s also easy to share listings with your Facebook groups and platforms linked/partnered with Facebook, which increases your visibility.
- Strong customer base. Since you can interact with buyers via Messenger and they’re able to see your public Facebook profile, you can get to know them and shore up their trust in your brand.
- Quick and easy listing process. The more professional your listing looks, the better for your sales. It’s easy to polish your listing, for example by uploading and organizing photos — up to 10 at a time — that buyers can peruse.
- Convenient shipping. You get to decide who pays for shipping. Creating and printing shipping labels on the platform is easy and inexpensive for buyers. If you pay, the shipping cost is automatically deducted from the amount of the sale.
- Secure transaction. If you sell as a merchant via Facebook Marketplace’s checkout system, the buyer is covered under Facebook’s Paycheck Protection policies. This builds customer trust.